Thursday, February 14, 2008

I've Been Busy

I'm really not a 'things' guy. Really. I'm not.

But you couldn't tell that from what I've purchased recently.

Some of the stuff was long overdue. Take, for example this microwave. 1.4 cubic feet interior. I get home around 6:30 pm most nights. I don't want to spend the evening at the stove. It's the first microwave I've ever purchased. The one it replaced was a much smaller 1982 JCPenney model. Yes, JCPenney. It was a Christmas gift from my brother. I think it served me well. I think I needed a new one.

Same thing with this vacuum cleaner. I had repaired the old one so many times it was mostly duct tape and carpet fibers. I sat down and did some research. I listed everything I wanted in a vacuum cleaner: bagless, attachments, HEPA filter, lightweight. Everything was over $200. This one had everything I wanted with the exception of weight. $75. Sold.









I already told you about the car. Did I tell you it has a name? Barry. Because it's black. Blackbarry--get it? We had to name it, because whenever my daughter says 'Impala,' it sounds like she's saying 'Aunt Paula,' which can be confusing, because we don't drive around town in Aunt Paula. She gets much worse gas mileage.






The car wasn't the only wheels I've purchased. I also picked up this bike for $150. Actually, the bike (a 24-speed hybrid) was covered with bags, pumps, lights, and other geegaws that in and of themselves probably cost $150. So I bought $150 worth of saddlebags, with a $300 bike thrown in. Man, I love guys who buy a whole bunch of stuff before they decide whether or not they like it.

Then there's this bad boy. If there was one real extravagence in my recent shopping spree, it's this one. It's made by Berkline, and it retails for $1350. It's a recliner couch. Most recliner couches I've seen have three seat cushions, and the middle secton doesn't recline. This one is full sized, but only has two sections. so two people can spread out quite gloriously on this thing. In fact, three can, too, if one person doesn't mind sitting in the middle. And I don't. My kids like to snuggle with me and watch movies, and this is the most snugglable couch I've ever sat in. Oceans of comfort. And a really interesting color. I replicated it as best I could (I love Photoshop) up there. It's pretty accurate. A rich, copper color. A custom color, in fact. Special ordered. Not by me, though. By someone who decided that they didn't like it after all. For $700, it's a great color.

But the really important purchas is sitting right next to me. A Dual 2.5 GHz Power PC G5, with 6GB SDRAM, 750GB storage, loaded with tons--tons--of editing software. Yes, I know the quad-core Intels are faster, and I'm glad. Because if they weren't I wouldn't have been able to afford this one.

Or this 24" HD monitor:

Or these speakers:
This color printer would have been out of the question, as well.
This video capture card? Not a chance.


And then I realized that there's going to be times when I'll be on the computer and the kids won't be able to do any work on it. So there's this used iBook I found...
And of course, I'll need to network to share resources...
But that's it. Really. No more.

Everything I bought was well-thought-out and logical. And yet I feel like an extravagent fool. I'm not used to good things happening. I keep forgetting there's no other shoe to drop.

Time for me to be grateful for this bounty, and to put it all to good use.

Especially that couch.

I'm back.

yeharr



5 Comments:

Blogger terry said...

i was wondering if you were ever going to blog again.

now i realize you were just lost in that fabulous couch.

I WANT ONE!

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I first visited your blog, but my antispyware said that he is infected with an unknown virus.
I deleted the virus through this AntiSpyWare.
The virus does not manifest itself but gradually destroys information on the computer.

8:11 AM  
Blogger cadbury_vw said...

you rock

you rock

you rock you rock you rock

i am soooooooo happy for you

----

barry

the black car

that joke/pun name is funny on several levels - very witty. i enjoy that very much.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

I did a double take at the car's name. The chaplain of the senate is Pastor Barry Black!!! ha ha. He's a huge deal in my church. Not a bad name for a car.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Miss Awesome said...

I'm not really a candy kind of girl. You wouldn't know that from all the candy i buy though.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home